Faculty of Arts and Humanities, Kairouan

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Faculty of Arts and Humanities, Kairouan

Share your knowledge with us, Welcome to the English Department

Quotations to use in the argumentative essay

Joumen
    Joumen

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2006-12-25

Character sheet
    Dice Game:
    Quotations to use in the argumentative essay Left_bar_bleue100/100Quotations to use in the argumentative essay Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Quotations to use in the argumentative essay Empty Quotations to use in the argumentative essay

Post by Joumen Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:41 pm

Quotations and Examples to Use in the Argumentative Essay

Art, Artist, and Life :
    • « Music is feeling, then, not sound; /And thus it is what I feel.” (Wallace Stevens: “Peter Quince at the Clavier”).
    • “The theatre was changed/To something else. Its past was a souvenir/It has to be living, to learn the speech of the place./It has to face the men of the time and to meet/The women of the time.”(W.S: “Of Modern Poetry”).
    • “It has to think about the war.”(W.S.: “Of Modern Poetry”).
    • “It must/Be the finding of a satisfaction, and may/Be of a man skating, a woman dancing, a woman combing.”(W.Stevens: “Of Modern Poetry”).
    • The poet must do nothing than “help people to live their lives”; his imagination has the power to serve as “the light in the mind of others.”
    • “The whole race is a poet that writes down/The eccentric propositions of its fate.”(W.Stevens: “Men Made Out of Words”).
    • “There is no Frigate like a book/To take us lands away.”
    • “If you touch the heart with one book, it can transform a life.”(By the political philosopher: Alan Bloom).
    • Poetry is “The Rhythmical Creation of Beauty.”(By Edgar Allan Poe).
    • “ “Classic.” A book which people praise and don’t read.”(By Mark Twain).

Beauty:
    • “Beauty is momentary in the mind/ […] But in the flesh it is immortal.”(W.S.: “Peter Quince at the Clavier”).
    • “The body dies; the body’s beauty lives.”(W.Stevens: “Peter Quince at the Clavier”).
    • “Death is the mother of beauty; hence from her, /Alone, hall come fulfilment to our dreams/And our desires.”(W.Stevens: “Sunday Morning”).
    • “Why do you imagine golden birds? /Do you not see how the blackbird/Walks around the feet.”(W.Stevens: “Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird”).
    • Beauty may be reflected in nature, “thrown back from flowers/ […] As in those gardens.”(E.A.Poe: “Al Aaraaf”).

Nature:
    • “All Nature Speaks.”(By E.A.Poe: “Al Aaraaf”).
    • “Shall she not find in comforts of the sun, /In pungent fruit and bright, green wings, or else/In any balm or beauty of the earth, /Things to be cherished.”(W.Stevens: “Sunday Morning”).
    • Nature “gives no orders […]; it knows nothing of vengeance or mercy. Before nature all men are free and equal.” (By the historian Walter P. Webb).

War and violence:
    • “Life hasn’t much to offer except youth, […] and every man I’ve met who’s been to war, […] seems to have lost youth and faith in man.”(By F.S.Fitzgerald in a letter of 1917).
    • War “could not have been committed by any animal other than man.”(From an article by Howard Zinn in “Violence in America”).
    • “Four women are beaten to death every day in America by husbands or lovers.”(FBI statistics/from an article).

Modern Man and Modern Life:
    • “We are the hollow men/We are the stuffed men/Headpiece filled with straw.”
    • “Our dried voices […]/Are quiet and meaningless.”
    • “Shape without form, shade without colour, /Paralysed force, gesture without motion.”
    • “We grope together/And avoid speech.”
    • “This is the dead land/This is cactus land.”(T.S.Eliot: “The Hollow Men”).
    • “There will be time, […] To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet.”
    • “And time yet for a hundred indecisions, /And for a hundred visions and revisions.”
    • “And indeed there will be time/To wonder, “Do I dare?” and “Do I dare?”.”
    • “And in short, I was afraid.”
    • “It is impossible to say just what I mean!”(T.S.Eliot: “The Love Song of J.Alfred Prufrock).
    • “We live, I regret to say, in an age of surfaces.”(Oscar Wilde: The Importance of Bein’ Earnest).
    • “We should treat all the trivial things of life very seriously, and all the serious things with sincere and studied triviality.”(By Oscar Wilde).
    • “Divorces are made in heaven.”(O.Wilde: The Importance of Bein’ Earnest).
    • “It’s of awfully hard work doing nothing.”(O.Wilde: The Importance…).
    • “The home seems to me to be the proper sphere for the man.”(O.Wilde: The Importance…).

Reverie and Solitude:
    • “Life consists of propositions about life. The human/Reverie is a solitude in which/We compose these propositions.”(W.Stevens: “Men Made Out of Words”).
    • “I have been happy, though in a dream. /I have been happy _and I love the theme:/Dreams! In their vivid colouring of life.” (E.A.Poe: “Dreams”).
    • It “brings/To the delirious eye, more lovely things/Of Paradise and love.”(Edgar Allan Poe: “Dreams”).

Reading:
    • “There is no Frigate like a book/To take us lands away/Nor any coursers like a page/Of prancing poetry.”
    • “How frugal is the Chariot/That bears the human soul.”
    • “A book or an idea has opened vistas for [students of mine].”(A.Bloom).
    • “There are an infinite number of starting places to begin one’s quest for the truth […], a book or an idea that serves as an intellectual launching pad.”(A.Bloom).
    • “If you touch the heart with one book, it can transform a life.”(By the political philosopher: Alan Bloom).

Smoking:
    • “Heavy smokers and drinkers run a fifteen-time greater risk of developing cancer of the mouth and throat than non-smokers and non-drinkers.”(From an article).

Wealth:
    • “Wealth serves “to belittle his own work”.”(By the critic Cioran).
    • In his novels Our Mutual Friend and Oliver Twist, Charles Dickens represents money as a disease and a false god.

Television:
    • “Wilkins gives studies that have reported a relationship between increased watching and decreased learning, between violence on T.V and aggressive behaviour.”(Adopted from TIME magazine October 11, 1982).
    • “The danger of T.V lies not so much in the behaviour it produces as in the behaviour it prevents.”(A famous psychologist).
    • “Television connects viewers to nothing except the idea of being connected to something.”(T.V critic: Michael Arlen).

Proverbs and Saying:
    • The truth is rarely pure and never simple. (Truth always involves an ideology; it is complex).
    • Idleness is the mother of all vices.
    • Easy come, easy go.
    • A drowning man will clutch at a straw.
    • A friend in need is a friend indeed.
    • A word to the wise is enough.
    • After a storm comes calm.
    • All is well that ends well.
    • Birds of feather flock together.
    • By the little is known the much.
    • Charity begins at home.
    • Envy never enriches any man.
    • Forbidden fruit is sweetest.
    • Four eyes see better than two.
    • The sooner, the better.
    • Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today.
    • Ill gotten thrives not.
    • He made a mountain out of a molehill.
    • It is no use crying over spilt milk.
    • Like father, like son.
    • Long absent, soon forgotten.
    • Necessity has no law.
    • Necessity is the mother of invention.
    • Old habits dye hard.
    • Once bitten, twice shy.
    • One conversation leads to an other.
    • Poverty has no sin.
    • Still waters run deep.