Faculty of Arts and Humanities, Kairouan

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Faculty of Arts and Humanities, Kairouan

Share your knowledge with us, Welcome to the English Department

3 posters

First year exam poetry 2002/2001

laflouf86
    laflouf86

Number of posts : 248
    Registration date : 2007-02-11

Character sheet
    Dice Game:
    First year exam poetry 2002/2001 Left_bar_bleue100/100First year exam poetry 2002/2001 Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

First year exam poetry 2002/2001 Empty First year exam poetry 2002/2001

Post by laflouf86 Thu May 03, 2007 7:06 am

Read the following poem carefully, and answer the questions seperately:

The Rainbow
    By: William Wordsworth

My heart leaps up when I behold

A Rainbow in the sky:

So was it when my life began;

So is it now I am a man;

So be it when I shall grow old,

Or let me die!

The child is father of the man;

And I wish my days to be

Bound each to each by natural piety*.

*piety: devotion to God , religion.

1- What effect does the sight of the rainbow have on the speaker's emotions?
    Support your answer with reference to the poem's language.

2- Explain how the use of tense (past, present and future) plays an important part in conveying the meaning of the poem.

3- How does the poet see the relationship between man and nature? Pick out the poetic devices used to illustrate this idea.

4- Describe the tone of the speaker.

5- Explain this line "The child is father of the man".

Gott mitt uns (God be with us) cheers lol!
    Ibn Fraj Bilel
    Ibn Fraj Bilel

Number of posts : 40
    Registration date : 2006-11-22

First year exam poetry 2002/2001 Empty Re: First year exam poetry 2002/2001

Post by Ibn Fraj Bilel Thu May 03, 2007 4:19 pm

thank you Olfa for the post !
    I liked your German expression very much : " Gott mitt uns " !!
    but please check the spelling of the preposition "mit" lol!
    Anissa Abdelkefi

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2007-05-01

Post by Anissa Abdelkefi Fri May 04, 2007 11:20 pm

I- Read your poem "The Chimney Sweeper" and answer the following questions:
    1/ What does the poem portray?
    2/ How was the life of a chimney sweeper? Justify from the poem.
    3/ What do "coffins of black" symbolize?
    4/ In stanza four and five, William Blake is ironical as most of those children- who were forced to work- were under the age of seven and many no older than four. What were these children supposed to do?Justify.

II- The following answers may be of some help to you.

1/ "The Chimney Sweeper" focuses on the thoughts and feelings of a young orphan having to deal with the pressures of losing his parents and being forced to take part in child labor in order to live. The poem describes how a chimney sweeper boy copes with his and his fellows' miserable fate. His naive, innocent way of accepting child-labour as a God-given duty produces a strong ironical effect and reinforces the bitterness of Blake's implicit criticism. The life of a London chimney sweeper was disagreable and hard, and usually fatal. From before dawn until afternoon, the "climbing boys" as they were known, passed through the city's streets announcing their services with cries of "Sweep! Sweep!"

2/ The answer to the second question is found in the first two lines of the poem. Here Blake describes the negative aspects of the boy's life and labour. He says: "When my mother died I was very young,/ And my father sold me while yet my tongue..." These boys suffer from personal misery and poverty. Their young age is painful. Their professional skill or task is quite demanding as they sweep. The words "sweep", "soot" suggest that black residue in chimneys are even found in the boys' beds. This poem is a cry of despair, pain, and suffering. The consequence being that these boys put up with their bitter fate and return to "business as usual". Ironically, the conclusion drawn in (6,4) is the moral which, after it has been implanted in their minds by society, helps them to sustain their self-respect and social value.

3/ This question is open to several interpretations. "Coffins of black" symbolize the hopeless conditions of those martyrs of capitalism in eighteenth century London. They ore locked up in those conditions and cannot escape from them. they are blinded with how life can really be...

4/ In stanza four and five, William Blake is ironical as most of those children -who were forced to work- were under the age of seven and many no older than four. These children were supposed to enjoy their childhood innocent time to the fullest. Yet they enter the realm of the world of experience and lose themselves in labour.The poem is a portrayal of the innocent acceptance of fate. But in the day we see these miserable chimney sweepers, blasted with chilling cold, wet to the skin, without shoes, or with only fragments of them, without stockings, who has no feelings of their sorrows!--You who have the hearts of men, and who have opportunities of seeing human misery, will contemplate the condition of these poor beings, and judge if this picture bears a genuine likeness.

Answers are proposed by : Mrs Anissa Abdelkefi Najjar.

laflouf86
    laflouf86

Number of posts : 248
    Registration date : 2007-02-11

Character sheet
    Dice Game:
    First year exam poetry 2002/2001 Left_bar_bleue100/100First year exam poetry 2002/2001 Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Post by laflouf86 Sat May 05, 2007 12:19 am

Thank you soo much 4 the answers , we really need such help I love you

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:22 am